Matthew 5.27-30 cont.
27 You have heard that it was said that: You shall not commit adultery”.
28 However, I tell that everyone looking at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
29 but if you right eye causes you to sin, take it out, and throw it away from you. It is better for you that one of your body parts should be destroyed rather than your whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away from you. It is better for you that one of your body parts should be destroyed rather than your whole body should go into hell.
Adultery is a perversion of what God intended for the physical relationship of husband and wife. His intention is that a husband and wife should live together in mutual love and respect, enjoying the deepest of intimate physical relationships.
Adultery breaks this and causes terrible pain, anguish, and grief.
God’s word gives advice on the way in which men in particular should conduct and order our lives.
15 Drink water from your own well—
share your love only with your wife.
16 Why spill the water of your springs in the streets,
having sex with just anyone?
17 You should reserve it for yourselves.
Never share it with strangers.
18 Let your wife be a fountain of blessing for you.
Rejoice in the wife of your youth.
19 She is a loving deer, a graceful doe.
Let her breasts satisfy you always.
May you always be captivated by her love.
20 Why be captivated, my son, by an immoral woman,
or fondle the breasts of a promiscuous woman?
21 For the Lord sees clearly what a man does,
examining every path he takes – Proverbs 5.15-21 (NLT).
In the New Testament Paul tells us:
- As we submit to the Lord so should wives submit to their husbands
- because a husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, which is His body, He being its Saviour.
- But, just as the church is being subjected to Christ, in the same way wives must be subject to their husbands in everything.
- Husbands must love their wives, in the same way that Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for it.
- so that He might make it holy, cleansing it by bathing it in water through the word – Ephesians 5.22-26.
Again we must take these words and establish them as the foundation on which our sexual morality is built.
They will guard our souls, they will protect our health, and they will lead us in His paths of righteousness.